Virtual reality (VR) games have been steadily gaining traction over the past few years. Meta Quest 2 – previously known as the Oculus Quest 2 – is among the more well-received VR devices available on the market right now.
Although the Meta Quest 2 excels in various user experiences, a part that can be complained about it is its relatively small storage capacity (128GB to 256GB), with some older versions coming at around 64GB. To allay this concern, can we store our Meta Quest 2 games on the PC instead?
Yes, we can save and transfer Meta Quest 2 games onto a PC. However, there are certain things that we need to do before our Meta Quest 2 games can be transferred to a PC safely.
To allow special admin access on the Meta Quest 2, we must:
- Create an organization account on the Meta Quest developers’ page (must be linked to our primary Meta Quest 2 user profile).
- Enable the Meta Quest 2’s Developer Mode (done by using the Meta Quest mobile app).
- Download and install the Meta Quest 2’s latest ADB Drivers.
Here’s FluffySez’s go-to guide on how to set up all of them properly:
Once done, we can now move forward with the primary process of transferring our Meta Quest 2 games onto a computer. To do this, we need to:
- Create a SideQuest account, and then install the program onto the PC.
- Launch the SideQuest program on the computer, and sign in accordingly.
- Turn on the Meta Quest 2, and connect it to the PC (by Bluetooth or USB-C cable).
- Once SideQuest recognizes the Meta Quest 2 (signified by a green circle on the top-left corner of the app), click on the “Currently installed apps” tab located somewhere along the top-right end of the screen (represented by a square icon with nine boxes).
- On the corresponding screen, select “Change Backup Location” to specify the folder we want to transfer our Meta Quest 2 games to.
- On the same screen, click on “Backup/ Restore All”, and then choose the Meta Quest 2 game (or multiple games) that we want to save onto the computer. Proceed to “Run Backup” once ready.
- After the selected game (or games) has been copied over, we can uninstall it from the VR headset at any time now.
The whole procedure can be quite confusing, so some of us might want to follow Advanced VR fare’s instructions on how to do it, step-by-step:
It might be good for us to plan out where to install the Meta Quest 2 games on our computer beforehand, creating a separate folder for them, to manage our files better. Even though the PC’s internal storage is larger than the Meta Quest 2’s, this isn’t counting the space taken up by our PC games yet, so it’s always best to be prepared.
How Do I Manage Meta Quest 2 Files Using a PC?
The Meta Quest 2 is capable of storing different files/ folders, such as images or videos, inside its storage memory too. That being said, how do we manage them while staying connected to a PC?
By connecting the Meta Quest 2 to a computer using a USB-C cable, the PC will detect the contents of the headset just like any other device, letting us sort its files/ folders normally. This makes it easy for us to move media, like photos or videos, between the device and the PC.
We can refer to HumAi Club’s video here to see this in practice:
This proves that the Meta Quest 2 is more than just a gaming accessory; it functions as a universal home entertainment medium as well! We can even watch our favorite movies inside the Meta Quest 2’s virtual environment, simulating the ambiance and atmosphere of a real-world cinema.
Is the Meta Quest 2 Compatible with PC Games?
Now, the real question is whether PC games can be played on the Meta Quest 2 or not.
Fortunately, the Meta Quest 2 is compatible with PC games, meaning we can play VR-supported titles while using the headset. Steam has a plethora of VR games available on its online store right now, so this is a great thing to note for many PC gamers out there!
Still, to ensure the best possible experience and performance, our computer’s drivers should always be updated and optimized to their latest versions. Ultimately, this is to minimize optimization issues that we might come across while playing our games in VR.
If everything’s perfect, though, then we can expect an amazing time playing our beloved games using the Meta Quest 2, especially those that support breathtaking Dolby Vision.
How Do I Play PC Games Using Meta Quest 2?
So, how can we play PC games using the Meta Quest 2?
Essentially, we just have to run our computer’s VR games while having the Meta Quest 2 connected to the PC. But, to do so, we need to make sure our computer meets Meta’s recommended specs first:
- Processor: Intel i5-4590/ AMD Ryzen 5 1500x (or greater)
- Graphics card: Many mainstream NVIDIA GPUs/ All AMD GPUs except AMD 200 & 300 Series (refer to Meta’s complete list)
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- OS: Windows 10/ 11
If our computer is ready to go, then here’s how to play VR games on PC using the Meta Quest 2 headset:
- Install and launch the Oculus App/ Software.
- Turn on the Meta Quest 2, and then connect it to the PC via a USB-C cable.
- From the Oculus App’s main menu, click on “Devices”.
- Select “Add Headset”, and then proceed to let the software identify/ pair with the Meta Quest 2.
- Wear the Meta Quest 2, and enable Oculus Link when prompted. The Oculus App will appear on the Meta Quest 2 if done correctly, and we can now run VR games through the computer’s Oculus App.
- For other applications like Steam, we need to install their respective VR software on the computer too. Once the additional software is installed, return to the Meta Quest 2 virtual space and select “Virtual Desktop” located on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen (while wearing the headset).
- After the desktop screen is presented inside the Meta Quest 2 headset, launch the application’s VR program (in this example, SteamVR) and continue to select the game that we want to play.
Famous YouTuber, Nathie, explains this as concisely as he can:
The Meta Quest 2 is just one of many other incredible gaming accessories that we can utilize for PC gaming, instead of the mouse and keyboard. Come to think of it, playing PC games on the best 5.1 surround sound settings while wearing the Meta Quest 2 can also be a great way to relive those momentous battles and cut scenes in games like Half-Life: Alyx.
Where Can I Buy Meta Quest 2 Games?
Meta Quest 2 sounds like a terrific gaming item to have at home. However, where can we buy games for it, since Meta Quest 2 games aren’t sold on common online stores such as Steam or Epic Games Store?
We can buy Meta Quest 2 games directly from the Meta Quest 2 store (using the headset), through the Oculus Software on PC, or using the Meta Quest mobile app. All are convenient and straightforward, making online game purchases a breeze.
There haven’t been many physical Meta Quest 2 game copies listed on the market at all (possibly none), indicating that the Internet is quickly becoming the ideal environment for next-gen games on PC. Considering how rapidly VR gaming is booming today, that might just be the case, moving forward.